The Ashby Police Department seeks to hire a full-time dispatcher. To download the job posting, click here.
Position: Full-Time Dispatcher
Salary: $17.96 per Hour
Hours: 40 Hours Regular Work Week
Summary of Duties:
Civilian dispatchers work under the direction of the lead dispatcher and fall within the communications division under the supervision of the Chief of Police. Dispatchers are responsible for answering and processing all incoming calls for Police, Fire, EMS, Highway, and Animal Control operations. All 911 calls are received and dispatched through the communications department using a Computer-aided dispatch system (CAD). Responsible for the operation of telephone, radio, and computer related equipment as necessary following established procedures and policies. Duties include conducting law enforcement inquiries, data entry, validation and modification. Receiving and dispatching medical assistance calls including providing pre-arrival instructions.
Dispatch applicants must be willing and able to work all shifts including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. Applicants must meet the training requirements established by the State 911 Department.
Dispatchers are covered by a collective bargaining agreement and shifts are bid by seniority. Benefits are competitive with the town paying 90% of health insurance.
Qualifications & Entrance Requirements:
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Ability to work any shift including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Obtain and maintain a valid CPR certification
- Possess E911, EMD, and CJIS certifications
- Computer literacy and basic Microsoft operation knowledge is necessary
- Possess the ability to work well with the public and with Police and Fire Services
- Ability to work under high pressure situations and work independently
- Successful completion of a thorough background investigation
Letters of interest and resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to those applicants with prior dispatch experience and current E911 Certifications.
A letter of interest and resume should be submitted to:
Ashby Police Department
893 Main Street
Ashby, MA 01431
Attn: Chief Fred Alden
The Ashby Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.