Position: Part-Time Dispatcher
Salary: $18.00 per Hour ($15.00 during training)
Summary of Duties:
Civilian dispatchers work under the direction of the lead dispatcher and fall within the communications division under the supervision of the Chief of Police. Dispatchers are responsible for answering and processing all incoming calls for Police, Fire, EMS, Highway and Animal Control operations. All 911 calls are received and dispatched through the communications department using a Computer-aided dispatch system (CAD). Responsible for the operation of telephone, radio, and computer related equipment as necessary following established procedures and policies. Duties include conducting law enforcement inquiries, data entry, validation and modification. Receiving and dispatching medical assistance calls including providing pre-arrival instructions.
Part-time position(s) do not receive benefits and shifts are scheduled on an as needed basis. Shifts are bid by seniority as governed by the collective bargaining agreement; willingness and ability to work all shifts including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime are required. Applicants must meet the training requirements established by the State 911 Department.
Qualifications & Entrance Requirements:
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Ability to work any shift including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Obtain and maintain a valid CPR certification
- Possess E911, EMD and CJIS certifications
- Computer literacy and basic Microsoft operation knowledge is necessary
- Possess the ability to work well with the public and with Police and Fire Services
- Ability to work under high pressure situations, work independently with the ability to multi-task.
- Successful completion of a thorough background investigation and medical evaluation
Letters of interest and resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, please specify whether full-time or part-time employment is being sought. Preference will be given to those applicants with prior dispatch experience and current E911 Certifications.
A letter of interest and resume should be submitted to:
Ashby Police Department
893 Main Street
Ashby, MA 01431
Attn: Chief Fred Alden